In recent years the Chinese medicine researches that it had the anti-hypertension besides the preliminary confirmation Roselle is widely used, in folk medicine it has associated with traditional medicine as:
- Blood purifier as well as a diuretic, treat urinary tract infection,
- To improve of constipation as it has mild laxative,
- Can also reduce the blood fat and blood triglyceride effectively,
- For several diseases such as hypertension and improve blood circulation,
- Help digestion and improve digestive tract absorption,
- Anti-aging by suppress free radical activity
- Treat cardiac and nerve diseases and cancer.
- Treat the liver disease, regarding suppressed cancer,
- Adjust the feminine physiological menstrual cycle,
- In cosmetology maintenance used as skincare
- Healthy beverage and herbal tea with good effect for weight loss
- Whets the appetite, cooling and relieves thirst effect.
Roselle (Luo Shen Hua) is rich in vitamin C and its calyces are made into healthy food and beverage, the red pigment of Roselle which contain of crystalline anthocyanins, hibicin as well as protocatechuic acid. The Roselle extract contains the oxidation inhibitor ingredients and the Polyhenols has oxidation resistance in majority by suppress low density lipoprotein to prevent oxidation in our body.
Commonly the fruit is taking fresh, decore them, and then dry the Roselle calyces used as beverage and herbs tea. It can also process into sweet pickle, salad and fruit jams.
Now it has also commonly used to make into enzyme or vinegar as healthy drink in Asia. Frequently drinking the Roselle herbs tea or beverage may achieve the health care effect.
Roselle herbs tea or beverage
- Peel Roselle Calyces and remove the seeds. Wash thoroughly.
- Roselle Calyces – 2 bowl
- Rock sugar (depends on individual taste)
- 500 ml of water
Simply cook the Roselle Calyces with water and add in rock sugar to taste.
The health benefits of taking Roselle as drink or herbs tea, its reduce high blood pressure by lowering the high levels of LDL cholesterol to protect and against heart disease.
The recommended dosage about 10 grams in the dried flower tea form once or twice a day.
Healthy homemade Roselle Jams
Usually after cooking of Roselle extract, I used the cooked Roselle Calyces to do homemade healthy jams. Simple as that and do not waste good thing.
- Cooked Roselle Calyces - 1 bowl
- 1/2 cup of Roselle extract
- Honey 1 tbsp.
- Maltose 2 tbsp.
- Brown sugar 1 tbsp.
- Lime Juice 1 tbsp.
1. Blend cooked Roselle Calyces into creamy form.
2. Squeeze lime juice and set aside.
1. Add Roselle extract and blended Roselle Calyces in pot and cook with low heat for 15 mins.
2. Add in honey, maltose and lime juice. Stir and mixed well and continue cooking till dry into jams form.
3. Remove from heat. Keep aside and till cool. Place them into the Jam container and keep in fridge.
Done and enjoy it!
to be continued...