A wonderful red fruit I bought from local market here. This fruit taste sour sweet, the flesh inside is yellow with black crunchy seeds. Right here we named it as Java Plum, Love Fruit or Heart Fruit. But not, the actual name for this fruit is known as Tamarillo, it also named as “Tree Tomato” due to its taste like cherry tomato.
Tarmarillo is belonged to nightshade fruit as also ideal culinary fruit. This fruit is edible as raw when it is ripe will slightly softened, it is much easier to cut the fruit into half and eat it by scooping the flesh from halved fruit, to scoop out the flesh and eaten raw from the halved fruit.
Please do not eat the skin due to its unpleasant taste. It is really refreshing and taste sour sweet. You can also peel its skin, or by cutting into slices.
There are many healthful ways to eat it raw, or as culinary recipes. I cook this recipe by using this fruit to made it as fruit jams, marmalade, salad, fruit juice, fruit wine, fruit sauces for pasta, dessert and ice cream, bake it as fruit cookies and cakes, it has good culinary qualities in cooking, e.g. sweet sour fish as natural sour taste in flavor, add sour taste to cook as curries. Also can make into chutney recipes. It is also good quality anti-aging skincare selling in the market.
This fruit is classified as 3 types: Red, Golden and Yellow. The yellow fruit is less acidic than the red type which is much sweet in taste. Golden Yellow fruit usually cultivated in New Zealand. It is native fruit from Central and South America. It grows in sub-tropical or slightly warm climate. This fruit can also be found in other countries like Australia, widely grown in New Zealand and Asia countries in Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.
Its Nutrients value:
It provides essential vitamins that our body needs. Like vitamins A, B6, C and E with iron, Thiamine and its rich pro-vitamin A, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, sodium and magnesium and beta carotene.
Major antioxidants properties like Phenolics, antocyanins, flavonoids and carotenoids, which protect against harmful effect of free radicals and reactive oxidants. It has rich source of flavonoids which has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and protect against and neutralize free radicals.
In recommended consumption of Tamarillo will help in reduce and control of high blood pressure and lower cholesterol. And other benefits like:
- Many used it as weight lost diet and it is low in calories, low in carbohydrates, low in sodium, rich in Iron, high in potassium, rich source of fiber.
- It is also good to improving the eyesight.
- Its antioxidant is good source of anti-aging to protect and help cells repair in against of DNA damages.
One of Simply Senz's healthy recipe ~ Tamarillo and Red Dates MarmaladeIt helps to boost blood circulation, relief of fatigue, and improve of eyesight.
- 20 Tamarillo
- 50gm Red Dates
- Brown cane sugar
- 1 Lemon
- 1 glass of Water
1. Wash Tamarillos, blanching in hot water for 3 – 5 minutes,
2. Wash Red Dates and Goji. Soak in water for few minutes and rinse dry.
3. Remove seeds of Red Dates. Cut into fine pieces.
4. Squeeze Lemon into juice.
5. Blend all ingredients with water to blend into paste form.
5. Cook it with low heat for at least for about 1 hour. Stir in Brown sugar and continue cooking till it has thickened to paste form. Done
6. Keep it cool. Then store in clean jar or jam jar, keep in refrigerator.
This Tamarillo Red Dates Marmalade can be served as healthy beverage, as jam to eat with bread as well.